Step by step instructions —
1. Choose your die
2. Determine the dimensions of the shape you want to cut — either the cut size or finished size
NOTE: If you want to use just a portion of a die that has multiple shapes — measure the area you want to cut and follow 'cut size' instructions.
Now, grab your iPhone or iPad so you can work with QuiltSandwich —
5. Set to 'Rectangle or Square'
6. Before entering the Finished Width and Length, look carefully at your die and consider how it will feed into the machine:
7. Set the Number of Pieces to the number needed
8. Now, add the extra 1/2" to the shape's finished size as required for die cutting by using QuiltSandwich's Seam Allowance setting.
This final adjustment depends on whether you set the shape's width & length as its cut size or finished size —
9. Review cutting diagram
The cutting diagram should be exactly as you need it — with the pieces oriented on the fabric so that they can be fed through the machine in the direction of least stretch (the lengthwise grain) as recommended for die cutting.
You've got the yardage you need with a cutting diagram to help you create the 7" wide strip to fold and to put through your die cutter (or to cut 4" x 7" pieces.)
Here's an example --
The iPad shows the Calculator settings on the left. They are set for a die with —
To the right side is the Cutting Diagram. It is very helpful, showing exactly how to prepare the fabric and cut the strip for the 4" x 7" pieces. Notice how the lengthwise grain runs the length (longest side) of the piece, exactly as it needs to be oriented to feed through the die cutter.
Questions are answered by the app developer.